WELCOME TO THE
The following cartoons
were kindly drawn & donated to by a very dear friend of ours.
Each "toon" was inspired
by an actual event involving Jay and Paul.
- One time as we came through HM Customs at the
Port of Dover, a customs officer emerged from our van with an inert
grenade in each hand.
- he asks us "How much alcohol and tobacco do you
- We were on a dig of and old bottle dump in
- Jay farted and Paul ran away as he seriously
thought that he had broken into a gas shell !
- We were crossing the French border back into
- as we went over the speed hump the back
door swung open and a box containing dug helmets fell out.
- You just know that the Duane's went over the van
with a microscope after that!
- Jay was complaining that his detector was playing
up, he was getting signals all over the place but could not locate the find.
- After about half an hour he realised that his new
boots had steel to caps !
- We were digging in a wood on the Somme in France.
- It was a real spooky place and Paul was quite on
- When something made him jump he hit it with his detector,
- The problem was it was a French Policeman
checking up that we had a permit to search there !
- When searching a site in Ypres, Jay dug a silver
- Paul enquired to what he had found and Jay
replied "a dog tag"
- Paul then asked if there were any unit markings,
to which J
- ay gave the tag to Paul laughing. The tag was an ID disc for a dog !
- Another search by HM Customs officers led them to
find the barrel end of a Lee Enfield rifle.
- It was bent into a "U" shape and had the remains
of the bayonet on the end.
- The Customs Officer asked us "has
this been deactivated?"
Just a thought that went through our minds
when we were searching for Japanese loot in the Philippines !
- We once had some stuff taken from us from by a
French Customs Officer as Paul had misplaced our search permit,
- therefore we could not prove that we had obtained
the relics legally.
- The Duane said we would have to pay a
large fine if we did not hand the relics over.
- Why were we not surprised to see him again a few
weeks later at a
military fare selling relics very similar to ours !!!
Note to self: A Ford Transit Van is not an
All Terrain Vehicle !
Obtaining permission to search is
not always that easy !
- Jay's favourite quote:
- "The good thing about digging is you never
know what will be on the end of your spade next !